Tuesday, February 27, 2018

HART Employees Reflect on Black History Month

Throughout the month of February, Black History Month is celebrated each year to honor the contributions and achievements of African Americans, both past and present. HART celebrates Black History Month by supporting its employees, local nonprofit organizations, and members of the community that contribute to the rich heritage of African Americans throughout its service area.

https://mlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2c3658b4001/0337f620-9057-4840-832f-3585e83f568b.jpg
Ronald Watkins - Bus Operator
In observance, we sat down with some employees to reflect on what the month means to them and how they are living their dream.

"I live my dream each day by being a HART Bus Operator," said Watkins. "I love working with people and I enjoy what I do. Growing up in Tampa, as a child I didn't see any Black bus drivers back then. It's significant now that you see more African Americans in the driver's seat. I just feel like that's a part of history in itself, I take every opportunity that comes my way as a chance to represent the dreams of my forefathers."

Ronald Watkins, Bus Operator - 29 years with HART

"I live my dream through the opportunities and experiences that I have been fortunate to have at HART," said Dallas. "When I first started there was not many African Americans in management or supervision. Now we have grown tremendously including myself having gone from floor technician to a supervisor. You have to take advantage of the many growth opportunities at HART."

Lyndon Dallas, Maintenance Supervisor II - 33 years with HART

https://mlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2c3658b4001/edff2413-15d1-442b-9321-1c84d4ce71b9.jpg
Jerry Allen - Master Mechanic
"When I first started here there was not that many African American mechanics, supervisors and managers. HART has come a long way." -

Jerry Allen, Master Mechanic - 30 years with HART

HART places great value on diversity, inclusion, and a positive work environment, which are important factors in maintaining a vibrant workforce that produces innovative, customer-focused transit solutions.

HART has been fortunate to have generations of families be part of our team!

One such case is Valencia and Maurice Joyce.


As a 19-year Bus Operator veteran, Valencia Joyce notes her son Maurice saw HART as an opportunity to help others and make a difference in someone's life. The mother-son duo love working with people and are grateful for the many opportunities afforded at HART.

"He loves the fact that he works with people and he really also loves the fact that we have the Paratransit division."

Valencia Joyce, Bus Operator - 19 years with HART

https://mlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2c3658b4001/aa1523d4-fa16-46bc-9655-e3b84ec5bc73.jpg
Maurice Joyce - Van Operator
"Being part of the HART has helped me to be like a mentor and giving out advice," said Joyce. "Just being that person that listens to people and helps them feel better. These are the things that make my job a blessing."

Maurice Joyce, Van Operator - 9 years with HART  

The workforce is what makes HART STRONG. UNITED. DIVERSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to this blog are moderated by HART staff. Constructive comments are welcome; any obscene, threatening, or otherwise inappropriate comments will be deleted before posting. Questions about specific service ("is my bus on time?") cannot be answered here, and should be directed to the HARTinfo Line at (813) 254-HART (4278). General questions may be addressed in future posts.